Wednesday, February 10, 2016
Toast From Pajottenland....
This has seriously become my favorite lunch. It is super simple and super satisfying. I Love the combination of flavors and I think this is a great way to utilize radishes. Radishes are a vegetable I really love but hardly have occasion to use in anything other then a salad, I imagine other people find this to be true, and while in a salad is not a bad way to eat radishes, I do enjoy new creative ways to eat them.
This simple open-faced sandwich originated as a Belgian snack food. Coming from the Pajottenland area West of Brussels. Pajottenland is famous for unfiltered, fermented Lambic beers, and stinky cheese. The traditional recipe calls for either Quark (A stinky cheese from the area) or sour cream, so it was easy enough to veganize using Vegan Sour Cream. You can make this with or without Daiya, I've done both, and love it both ways. However you choose to make it, enjoy!
Toast from Pajottenland
1 loaf Dark Rye or Pumpernickel Bread Sliced.
1 Bunch Radishes Sliced thin
12oz Vegan Sour Cream
1-2 Shallots finely diced
1 tsp Garlic Powder
1 tsp Sea Salt
1/4 tsp Black Pepper
3Tbsp chopped fresh Chives or Green Onions
Daiya Cheddar Cheese (Optional)
Minced Parsley to Garnish (Optional)
- Toast the Bread.
- In a bowl mix the sour cream, garlic powder, salt, pepper, shallot, and chives/onion.
- Spread a layer of the sour cream mixture over each slice of toasted bread.
- If using Daiya sprinkle a layer of the cheese over the sour cream.
- Place the sliced radishes on top.
- Sprinkle with parsley and season with additional salt and pepper if needed.