Saturday, May 14, 2011

Edamame Sushi Roll Salad with Green Onion Miso Vinaigrette...

About a week or so ago I was craving sushi bad. Unfortunately there are not very many sushi places around here that are A) Good, and B) Have a wide assortment of vegetable sushi. Due to such limited options I’m often forced to roll my own, but as anyone who’s ever tried to roll their own knows, it can be a major time consuming pain in the ass. It’s always worth it in the end mind you, but that particular day I just wasn’t in the mood for such frustrating foolery.

That’s where the Edamame Sushi Roll Salad comes in, now I wish I could take credit for this magnificent artistic meal, but I can’t. All I can do is lavish it with my praise. The flavors truly tantalize the tastebuds, and the bowl not only contains a complete meal but all of your favorite sushi ingredient without all of the trouble. It’s wonderful, mouth-watering and smothered in a Green Onion Miso Vinaigrette Dressing that really helps to embolden the flavors. So without further adieu...


















I really can’t say enough good things about this salad - and don’t let the word salad fool you either. I often think people hear the word salad and think "I’ll be hungry five minutes after eating" not with this salad. Pile it high, eat the whole bowl and you’ll be happily sated all evening - so I highly, highly recommend you purchase a copy of "Appetite for Reduction" by Isa Chandra Moskowitz, then make this salad, and all the other recipes in the book!

A few tips to consider though. She says to start with 1 cup of green onions for the dressing and go from there because strength of the onions can vary. I did this, but even still my onions were particularly potent and so I would recommend starting with a half cup and gradually increasing, particularly if you don’t want the onions to mask everything else. She also lists the avocado as being optional, but in my book avocado should never be optional and I really don’t think the salad would be the same without it. Lastly, because I’m never quite capable of fallowing a recipe as is, I ended up also adding in black sesame seeds with the tan ones, and sliced shiitake mushrooms. I think both were very tasty, and - I’d even go as far as to say - necessary additions! Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. It was very delicious! Great meal idea! You're right, before becoming a vegetarian, I wasn't too keen on the idea of eating "salads" b/c I thought of relatively boring toppings. However, I've quickly been converted. This was so good! Just like the sushi rolls you make.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, i was kind of the same way, i always liked salads but i didn't know there was so much you could do with one! I'm much wiser now =D

    ReplyDelete