Wednesday, May 9, 2012
Veggie Bacon Bites...
This recipe is inspired by every single recipe I’ve ever seen for Vegan Bacon, or Vegan Bacon Bits. Honestly, they are all pretty much the same, and they all use some combination or other of the same ingredients. It’s very rare to find a truly original vegan bacon recipe, with a truly creative combination of flavors. So I won’t claim that my recipe is in any way original, it is however absolutely freaking delicious! And I don’t say that lightly. I’ve been disappointed over and over again by vegan bacon and vegan bacon bits, so for this batch I basically took all the things I love about every recipe I’ve ever seen for them and threw it together into one recipe. Aside from having amazing flavor these Veggie Bacon Bites also have the benefit of being free of cholesterol. - Unlike Pork, Beef, or Turkey bacon. - There’s no grease when you cook them, they’re much lower in fat and salt then pork, beef, turkey bacon and yet you don’t have to sacrifice on delicious taste or protein.
I must also point out that I don’t typically eat TVP. In fact I try to avoid it whenever I can, however I do use it on very rare occasions when a certain texture or effect is needed. This is one of those occasions, and while I typically don’t eat vegan bacon either this was a necessary ingredient for another recipe I developed last week. So I’m posting this recipe first, so you have it when I post the second recipe tomorrow. Trust me, you’re going to want to try it out! Though even if you decide you don’t want to go to all the trouble of making the second recipe, this will taste amazing in anything you’d typically use bacon. Make a tofu Firtatta and add some in, make a vegan Caesar and sprinkle some on top, or make a Cobb salad. Throw it into lentils or baked beans, really no matter how you choose to use these veggie bacon bites, you can not go wrong!
Veggie Bacon Bites
1 C TVP (Textured Vegetable Protein
2 Tbsp GF Soy Sauce
3 tsp Mesquite Flavor Liquid Smoke (or your favorite flavor)
2 tsp Toasted Sesame Oil
1 ½ tsp Dijon Mustard
3-4 Garlic Cloves minced
1 tsp granulated onion
½ tsp Paprika
1/4 tsp Smoked Paprika
1/4 tsp Ground Mustard
1 Tbsp Pure Maple Syrup (1 ½ - 2 Tbsp if you like it sweeter)
- In a measuring cup mix together all ingredients except TVP and Water.
- Once combined add enough water to reach 1 cup.
- Place the TVP in a heat proof bowl and pour liquid over top. Give it a stir then cover it tightly with plastic wrap and microwave for 5 minutes.
- Lightly spray a small pan with non-stick spray, and heat over medium.
- Remove plastic wrap from the TVP bowl and add TVP to the pan. Saute over medium heat for about 10 minutes until any liquid has absorbed, veggie bacon bites are dray, lightly browned and lightly crispy.
- Enjoy immediately wherever bacon is needed!
*** Note - If you use GF Soy Sauce they veggie bacon bites are Gluten-Free.***