Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Tropical Omega-Boost Smoothie...


















When it comes to getting my Omega-3's some weeks I do really good and make sure I take in a wide variety of flax, chia, walnuts and leafy greens, while other weeks I fall into a rut of nutritional neglect. I’m sure you can relate. Maybe you get busy, or maybe you get a taste for food that’s a little more decadent -and possibly less nutrient dense, - maybe you simply forget, or just don’t ‘feel like it’ some days. Well I know how that goes. So on Saturday I came up with a super easy, and delicious omega-rich smoothie that’ll have you begging for more. The flavor is so sublime that you won’t have to coax yourself into making it because you’ll wake up craving it!

















Interestingly this smoothie came about not only out of a desire to make sure I get my daily flaxseed, but also in an attempt to clean out my refrigerator before going away on vacation. All the ingredients in this smoothie I had in abundance, and all of them - except for the flaxseed - needed to be consumed before I leave. I wasn’t sure what I’d end up with after mixing them all together but that’s what experimentation is all about right? The end result was far better then I imagined. The smoothie Is rich and creamy, it’s sweet, sour and tropical, and as an added bonus it’s both sugar and stevia free. Despite being free of sugar or other sweeteners this smoothie tastes exactly like the sort of thing you’d pick up at one of those chain smoothie joints in the mall. Dare I say it almost taste decadent? It’s a tropical paradise in a glass, and I strongly urge you to give it a try.

















A quick note about the mango. You can use any kind. I’ve made this smoothie every day since Saturday and I’ve made it both with the big red mangos, and the smaller yellow mangoes. I’ve also made it with overripe, perfectly ripe, and under ripe mango, each time it came out fantastic. Keep in mind however that if you use overripe mango the overall drink will be sweeter. If you use under ripe mango the drink will have a more sour taste, which I actually liked quite a lot. In fact it reminded me of a thick yogurt. I’ve also used both unsweetened Flax milk, and Vanilla Flax Milk. It came out brilliant both times, though of course using the vanilla flax milk will give it a subtle hint of vanilla flavor, as well as make it a bit sweeter. Any way you decide to make it I hope you enjoy it!
















Tropical Omega-Boost Smoothie

1 ½ -2 C Your Favorite Flax Milk (Depending on how thick you want it.)
1 Large Mango Peeled, Stone removed, and cut into chunks
1 Large Banana
1 Pink Lady Apple Peeled and cut into chunks
2 Tbsp Ground Flaxseed
4 Tbsp Organic Unsweetened Applesauce

- Place all ingredients in a high-speed blender and blend on high for 60-90 seconds until completely smooth and creamy. Pour into a glass and enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Man, look at those photos! Amazing what you can come up w/ when you need to throw together the odd ingredient or two. The drink looks tasty, despite not being the biggest fan of mangoes.

    ReplyDelete