Monday, August 1, 2011

Year One...

My original plan for today was to post a recipe of some sort, and then I realized what day it was. Time - especially lately, it seems - goes by so fast, that I hadn’t even realized that July was over. Today of course is August 1st, and the significance of that you might ask? Well it was exactly one year ago today that I decided to take the plunge and become a vegetarian, committing myself to a compassionate, cruelty-free life, and I haven’t looked back. So today, is my Vegetarian Birthday! It amazes me that something so monumental in my life could have slipped my mind, but I guess it can all be chalked up to our ever-changing perceptions of time. It baffles me that on one hand I feel like I just embarked on this journey, while on the other hand I feel as though I’ve been at it for years and years. It’s been a good year, one full of growth and development. I’ve changed a lot in all areas of my life from the physical, to the mental to the spiritual, and my heart is more open. Becoming vegetarian - and eventually vegan - is the best thing I’ve ever done for myself. I’m thankful everyday that my eyes and my heart were opened to this choice, and I’m especially thankful that I had both the good sense and the courage to follow it through.

Since the importance of today slipped my mind until this evening, I’m not doing anything particularly special to celebrate or commemorate the day. I’m not even cooking anything particularly fancy for dinner. I’m just going to sit down and enjoy a nice quiet supper with my husband. A steamy bowl of Zucchini and Corn soup from Easy Vegan, and the Raw Kale Confetti Salad with Toasted Sunflower Seeds from Terry Walters Clean Start. Then maybe we’ll end the night at the theater seeing a film.

The perfect peaceful end to a perfect peaceful day, and tomorrow I shall return with something interesting. Though whether it’ll be a recipe or an article I’m not yet sure.

PS: My 1 year Vegan birthday will be coming up in November, exciting!

1 comment:

  1. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!! I enjoy your receipts and posts..keep up the good work! ST

    ReplyDelete