Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Mediterranean Scramble...

















My husband and I are suckers for a good tofu scramble. I think in the beginning we were both a little bit skeptical but we quickly came to the realization that tofu scrambles are the way to go. They look like scrambled eggs and taste a million times better, plus they’re so versatile. You can literally add anything in that you like.

















I generally only make scrambles for special occasions, - I don’t know why since they’re so darn good! - and typically I only make one of two versions that have become my go too scramble recipes. One is just a basic garden scramble that I came up with. The other is a slightly sweeter tad spicier scramble that includes vegan chorizo, sort of meant to be like a Mexican Eggs and Chorizo sort of thing. Both are wonderful - I’ll have to post the recipes some time. - However when my husband requested a scramble for Easter breakfast, rather then the quiche I’d originally planned I decided to stick with the Mediterranean theme we’d set for dinner.

















When I started out I just had a vague idea of what I wanted. Sausage and peppers to start, seasoned with Greek spices, but beyond that I didn’t really have a clue as to what I was going to do. So I picked through my cabinets, sorted through my fridge and pilfered my brain of every tiny bit of it’s culinary knowledge and Greek inspiration. What I ended up with was so utterly mind blowing that neither my husband nor I could resist the urge to utterly gorge ourselves silly. Everything about this scramble is perfect! The flavors are subtle and play off each other beautifully, the aroma is heavenly, and the entire dish transports you to a new level of culinary bliss. It must also be said that long ago my husband happened upon the realization that if you add a bit of ketchup to a tofu scramble it makes it taste all the more like eggs. Both of us know people who actually eat ketchup on real chicken’s eggs and both of us have always found this utterly sickening. However, ketchup on a scramble makes total sense and over time I’ve picked up this habit as well. Although, this is one scramble that definitely doesn’t need it. I gobbled my plate up as was, without making any alterations. If you like Mediterranean flair, and both Greek and Italian spices I strongly suggest you give this scramble a try, you won’t be sorry!

















Mediterranean Scramble

2 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 lb Firm Tofu (Pressed and Drained)
1 lb Vegan Italian Style Sausage (I used Field Roast)
1 C chopped Mixed Peppers (I Used Red and Orange)
1 Small Yellow Onion Diced
10 Cloves Garlic Minced
10 Sun-dried tomatoes chopped
2 Large handfuls Baby Spinach
10-15 Kalamata Olives Halved
½-3/4 tsp ground Fenugreek ***
½ tsp ground Fennel ***
1 tsp ground Cumin
1 ½ tsp ground Thyme
1-2 tsp Dried Oregano
1/4-1/2 tsp Dried Crushed Rosemary
1/8 Ground Turmeric
Dash of Dried Dill
Dash of Smoked Paprika
Sea Salt and Black Pepper to taste
1/8-1/4 C Nutritional Yeast
Water as needed

- Put tofu in a tofu press - or wrap in a towel and place between two heavy objects - and press for about 2 hours.

- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a pan over medium-high heat. Slice Italian sausages into thin rounds and fry in the oil until nicely browned on both sides. Roughly 5-10 minutes. You can add a bit more oil or water if needed. Once browned, remove to a plate and set aside.

- Heat remaining tbsp of oil in the same pan. - No need to clean it out. - Add garlic, onion, and peppers and saute over medium heat for 5-8 minutes until flagrant, and onions are translucent and peppers are soft.

- Drain tofu and crumble into the pan. Alternately if you want large pieces you can cube it using a knife rather then just crumble it.

- Add in all your spices. The fenugreek, fennel, cumin, thyme, oregano, rosemary, turmeric, dill, smoked paprika, sea salt, pepper, and nutritional yeast. Adjust for personal taste preferences and color and stir until everything is well combines and tofu has taken on a yellow color. If the pan seems dry you can add in a bit more oil or water to de-glaze and moisten it, as needed.

- Add in the cooked Italian Sausage, Spinach and sun-dried tomatoes. Stir to combine and saute over medium for 2-4 minutes until tofu and sausage are well heated through and spinach has wilted. Add in the kalamata olives, saute another minute then taste for flavor, adjust as needed and serve.

















*** Note - Both Fenugreek and Fennel may only be sold in seed form. If this Is the case no worries, just grind the seeds yourself in a spice or coffee grinder. It works perfectly. I actually have a coffee grinder for just this purpose. Also fenugreek may not be in everyone’s average grocery store depending on where you live. However grocery retailers such as Whole Foods, as well as specialty and spice shops, typically carry it. You could also check out your nearest Mediterranean, Indian, Turkish, Middle Eastern, or even Chinese Grocery as Fenugreek is used in all of these cuisines. Trust me when I say it’s worth your looking for!***


*** Note - Can be made Gluten-Free by using a GF Vegan Sausage*** 

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, this was a very delicious scramble! But I've always put ketchup on my scrambled eggs even before I went vegan (Or perhaps I read your entry wrong. lol). Thanks for another amazing recipe!

    ReplyDelete