Monday, July 30, 2012

Baked Sunchoke Sandwiches with Five Spice Slaw...

















I’ve been rather neglectful of the blog of late I know, and for that I’m sorry. It’s just that a multitude of other things have accumulated and I’m finding it very difficult at the moment to divide my time. I know I last left off with updating about my vacation to Germany but I thought since it’s been such an awful long time since I posted a recipe I should take a few moments to do that instead.
















In truth I haven’t been cooking much, or rather I have been but I’ve been making very simple food, nothing worthy of blogging about. This dish however I made just before going on vacation and it was simply superb! Really it’s perfect for a hearty lunch or a light dinner, because really, who doesn’t love a big ‘ole sloppy sandwich every once and a while? And, how often do you get to use sunchokes? Not often enough in my opinion, so I hope you enjoy, and I promise to get back to posting regularly again.
















What I like best about this sandwich is the subtle hint of anise from the five spice powder. You get this great punch of Asian flavor combined with the unique taste of sunchokes, fantastic combination, trust me!
















Baked Sunchoke Sandwiches with Five Spice Slaw 

1 lb Sunchokes,
Sea salt and Black Pepper to taste
1 French Baguette
Sliced Tomato to serve
Thai chili sauce to serve (optional)

Five Spice Slaw 

2 Carrots Grated
2 Celery Ribs diced
1 Red Bell Pepper diced
4 Garlic Cloves minced
Green Onions to taste
1 ½ C Red Cabbage finely shredded
½ C Non-dairy Mayo (I like Earth Balance)
1 ½ tsp Sesame Oil
1 tsp Coconut Amino’s or Soy Sauce
1 ½ tsp Chinese 5 Spice Powder or to taste
Sea salt Black pepper
1 Packet Stevia or to taste (Optional)
2 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
½ Bunch Cilantro Minced

- Pre-heat oven to 400'F

- To make the Sunchokes make sure you rinse and clean them very well. They tend to be quite gritty. What I like to do is soak them in a big bowl of warm water for a few minutes. Then I scrub them good and give them a rinse.

- After they’ve been washed you want to slice them relatively thin. You can do it with a mandolin or a knife, whichever you prefer. No need to peel the chokes as long as you wash them well.

- Next spray a baking sheet with non-stick spray. Then spread the sunchoke slices out in a single layer. Depending on the size of your pan you might need to do this on two pans. Sprinkle with sea salt and black pepper to taste then place in the oven.

- Bake at 400'F for 10 minutes a side, or until the sunchokes have turned a nice golden color. Be careful not to burn or crisp them. You still want them a bit soft.

- Once done remove from the oven and set aside to cool.

- To make the Five Spice Slaw mix together carrots, red pepper, red cabbage, celery, cilantro, garlic and green onions in a big mixing bowl.

- In a small bowl whisk together the Mayo, sesame oil, coconut amino’s or soy sauce, Chinese 5 spice powder, apple cider vinegar, salt, pepper, and stevia to taste. Taste for flavor and adjust seasonings as needed.

- Pour the dressing over the Slaw and mix to thoroughly combine. Taste and adjust flavor as needed.

- To assemble your sandwich slice the Baguette in half crosswise, then make a slit lengthwise down each half.  Layer in the baked sunchokes, top with a few slices of tomato, and a heaping amount of slaw. Then drizzle a little Thai Chili Sauce over top if desired, and enjoy!
















PS: Gluten-Free if using Coconut Amino's or GF Tamari. Soy-Free if using Soy-Free non-dairy Mayo


1 comment:

  1. This looks amazing!! MOUTH WATERING!!! Hope you make this for us when you are in Vancouver! S.T.

    ReplyDelete