Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Restaurant Review: Edible Flours in Vancouver...



















I mentioned the other day that after my delicious lunch at Vancouver’s Tera V Burger I headed over to Edible Flours for a little post lunch dessert. Edible Flours is a little all-vegan café on West Broadway that offers a wide array of teas, coffees and delicious mouth-watering vegan pastries. They even have gluten-free, soy-free, and sugar-free options.

Now since it was just me, and since I’d just eaten a rather large lunch I wasn’t exactly in the mood to stuff my face with sweets, but everything just looked so delicious and incredible. Seriously, the presentation was fantastic and everything was labeled super well so that you knew exactly what was in it. After browsing the vast selection I decided to go with a Cinnamon Roll because I’d heard good things about their cinnamon rolls and how often does a vegan get a cinnamon roll unless he or she makes it herself right? I also decided to try one of the ‘cheese’ croissants which for me was more of a novelty then anything else. Croissants were one of my favorite pastries, so flaky and delicious and the idea of getting one with a savory filling - a savory ‘cheese’ filling at that - was just too good an offer to pass up.

First I tried the cinnamon roll and it was fantastic! It was everything you could possible want in a cinnamon roll. Light, fluffy, moist with great cinnamon flavor but not too sickly sweet like those cinnamon buns you get at the mall. It was baked to perfection and once I was done I wished I had another one. The Cheese Croissant was less exciting, I’d heard good things about it too and was super stoked to try it but maybe it was just a bad idea to eat it after a big lunch, or after a sweet cinnamon bun. The pastry of the Croissant was definitely flaky as well as light and airy but I thought it couldn’t have used a little something extra. Maybe a hint of something sweet brushed across the top of it. I don’t know. As for the filling it was really, really cheese like. Honestly if I didn’t know better I would have thought it was real cheese. Flavor wise it reminded me of a strong Swiss and it was good but perhaps a little too realistic for me. However if cheese croissants are your thing you might really love it - just don’t eat a cinnamon roll beforehand.

I would have loved to order so much more. There was such a beautiful display of cupcakes that I wanted one of each of them. I’ve heard fantastic things about their cupcakes too which made it hard for me not to buy them all up. I also hear that the donuts and the chocolate peanut butter mini bars are excellent.

As for the café itself if you don’t live in the area it’s a bit out of the way to go but it is so, so worth a trip. It’s just a small place with an open-style kitchen, and a very comfortable dining area that’s set up like a livingroom. That atmosphere is great, the ambiance is perfect and the owner is super nice, really helpful and gracious. Also for those of you who may not live in the area, though it’s out of the way it is super easy to get there. From Commercial Drive station just hop on the Alma bus and it’ll take you right there. Or if you stopped by Tera V Burger for a meal you could walk up to Edible Flours, it’s definitely a bit of a hike from Tera but the exercise is good for you, and the more calories you burn off the more you can consume at Edible Flours right?

Edible Flours 
2280 W. Broadway, Vancouver (Between Vine and Yew Streets)
Hours - Tues-Sat 10am-6pm. Sun 11am-4pm, Closed Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment