Monday, January 23, 2012

Garden Veggie Miso Soup...


















I was inspired to make this soup last month when I was really in the mood for some miso soup but didn’t have any seaweed, or tofu on hand, and frankly wasn’t interested in eating either that particular night anyway. What I really wanted was something light, colorful, and warm yet not necessarily ‘cooked.’ Scanning the fridge I realized I was running low on groceries, but what I did have was just enough to make a delicious, healthful, and surprisingly hearty soup. Everything about this soup screams Spring to me, but really I think it’s perfect anytime of year, and the great thing about it is that you can have it done and on the table in 25-30 minutes. Using some frozen vegetables helps make the soup come together fast, and slicing the veggies thin or grating them helps them soften while simmering without needing to cook or boil them to death, so you retain more nutrition. Who doesn’t love that? This soup can also conveniently be made in a large batch and stored in the fridge for a couple of days for easy access to a nice healthy meal at lunch or dinner, on days when you might not have as much time to cook as you’d like. The first time I made this soup I served it with a simple salad, last night I served it with some hand-rolled sushi, but this soup can just as easily be enjoyed on it’s own. I really do love the combination of miso with the sweetness of peas, and the crispness of broccoli... Mm... mm... Try it for yourself and see!


















Garden Veggie Miso Soup

1 Large Carrot Grated
2 Small Zucchini cut in half moons or 1 large cut in quarters
1 bunch green onion chopped (green part only)
1 C Frozen Green Peas
Frozen Broccoli to taste (Couple handfuls)
Garlic Powder, Ginger Powder and Black Pepper to taste
1/4-2/3 C Mellow White Miso
3-5 C Water

- Whisk together the Miso and Water in a medium sized pot until dissolved. Turn the heat onto medium and bring to a simmer.

- Add in all of your veggies, and season to taste with garlic powder, ginger powder and black pepper.

- Simmer for 20-25 minutes until veggies are tender but still crisp. Do not bring to a boil. If over medium heat the soup starts bubbling too heavily reduce the heat to low and finish simmering. You want the veggies to be soft, but not cooked all the way though, you don’t want them to be boiled to death and mushy. You want texture and a nice bite.

- Serve with homemade hand-rolled sushi, Summer or Spring Rolls, or a salad, and enjoy.


















*** Note - If you have fresh garlic and ginger feel free to finely mince or grate them and use it instead of powdered. I didn’t have fresh on hand, otherwise I would have used it. Also keep in mind that the amount of miso you want to use will be dependant on your personal taste preference. I like a medium flavored miso broth, not weak, and not too overpowering. Usually 1/4-1/2C is good for 3-4 C of water, and ½-2/3 C is good for 4-5 C of water, depending on your taste. You can also use any color miso you want, but remember that darker shades of miso have a more pungent flavor and so less will be required. White miso is personally my favorite because I find it to be the most versatile. But feel free to experiment ***

1 comment:

  1. This was SO good! I agree, I love broccoli in soups. I never think of soups as particularly filling but all the soups you make always keep me full. Plus, they're great ways to stay warm on cold winter nights. =)

    ReplyDelete