Monday, September 30, 2013

Vegan Mofo #35 - Mark’s Beer Braised Greens...
















Vegan Mofo #35 - Mark’s Beer Braised Greens 

The Region - Germany
The Book - The 30 Minute Vegan’s Taste of Europe
The Author - Mark Rienfeld
The Recipe - Beer Braised Greens
Page #189
Difficulty - Easy
Duration - Roughly 20 minutes

I’m not entirely sure how this is a typical German dish - except for it’s use of German beer it seems a rather ordinary braising recipe. - But Mark includes it in his Germany Chapter in The 30 Minute Vegan’s Taste of Europe and so, because I had some greens begging to be used I decided to make it as part of my German Schnitzel feast. I hadn’t intended to use the recipe for Mofo as it was simply a side, but it turned out so much better then expected I could hardly see why not to include it.
















The dish is simple, thinly sliced greens - Mark calls for Kale but I used Collards because that’s what I had - sauteed in garlic, olive oil, red pepper flakes, caraway, lemon, red wine vinegar, salt, pepper and of course beer. I thought the beer would be overpowering but it wasn’t. Somehow it worked with the bitter greens and the red pepper flakes gave the dish a nice kick.

The Full German Feast.
Top - German Potato Salad & Vegan Schnitzel
Bottom - Red Cabbage and Brussels Sprouts & Beer Braised Greens 


















Is it my favorite vegetable recipe ever? No, but it was a new and interesting way to use greens that I hadn’t thought of before, and it worked really well as a part of the German feast. Each dish complimented the other, and so if you choose to make the schnitzel, potato salad and the red cabbage I highly suggest also adding one more pan to the mix and braising up a batch of beer braised greens. Yum, yum!


1 comment:

  1. Yeah, not my favorite but it was an interesting take. It's always interesting to see the different takes on dishes these authors come up w/ for recipes. - M

    ReplyDelete