Sunday, September 29, 2013

Vegan Mofo #31 - Donna’s Spicy Hunan Hot Pot...


Vegan Mofo #31 - Donna’s Spicy Hunan Hot Pot 

The Region - China
The Book - The Chinese Vegan Kitchen
The Author - Donna Klein
The Recipe - Spicy Hunan Hot Pot
Page #46
Difficulty - Easy
Duration - Roughly 20 minutes

By now it can be no secret that I love soups, so when I saw this recipe in The Chinese Vegan Kitchen for the Spicy Hunan Hot Pot, and saw that it only takes about 20 minutes how could I resist? Hunan Is a region in south central China. The cuisine in this region is known for it’s diversity and it’s liberal use of chili peppers, shallots and garlic. Hot pots are also a popular cooking method there, and seeing as how I’ve never made a Chinese hot pot before now would be a good time to try it out.
















This particular hot pot contains ginger, garlic, shiitake mushrooms, vegetable broth, water, soy sauce, brown sugar, chili paste, sesame oil, rice noodles, tofu, bok choy, green onions, cilantro, and more hot chili sauce for garnish. It comes together faster then you can believe, the most laborious time is spent chopping, and once that is done you throw everything in the pot and simmer till done. It makes a perfect quick weeknight or weekend meal, and tastes so darn good.
















As I said before I’m not normally a fan of plain tofu diced up in soup but I liked it here as it provided a cool smooth contrast to the spicy flavor. I also loved the use of bok choy and cilantro the colors of which really made the dish pop!


No comments:

Post a Comment