Friday, September 27, 2013

Vegan Mofo #26 - Anypy’s South Indian Hummus...
















Vegan Mofo #26 - Anypy’s South Indian Hummus 

The Region - India
The Book - Vegan Indian Cooking
The Author - Anupy Singla
The Recipe - South Indian Hummus
Page # 132
Difficulty - Easy
Duration - Roughly 10 minutes

I love a good hummus, and so when I first saw Anupy’s version for a South Indian take on the classic dish I knew I’d have to make it at some point and yesterday was a lazy kind of day. It was the kind of day where I didn’t feel like doing a lot of cooking or making anything that required a lot of ingredients. I wanted fast and simple and something I wouldn’t have to thick about and so I thought it would be the perfect easy dinner with some homemade Naan.















Besides being quick and easy I was also immediately intrigued by the ingredients, and was particularly curious to use lentils instead of chickpeas for the base. Anupy doesn’t specify what type of lentils to use and so I used a can of brown lentils. I was also really interested to use mustard seeds and coconut oil, not to mention excited at the prospect of using my Rasam and Asafetida powders for something. Other ingredients in this twist on hummus include garlic, lemon juice, black pepper, salt, smoked paprika, cumin, and water as needed to thin.
















See? Simple. It’s also an extremely delicious combination. The lemon and Rasam powder gives the hummus a tart, tangy flavor, and the coconut oil gives it a subtle tropical flavor as well as a smooth buttery flavor. The mustard seeds don’t get entirely pureed and so they leave a bit of crunch in the mix and the asafetida just brings the whole thing together. This is probably one of the most creative and best tasting hummus’s I’ve ever eaten, and it tasted so darn good with that homemade Naan I mentioned - but more on that later.


1 comment:

  1. Gonna make this too! Love Hummus also & Indian food is one of my fave's, your picture's are great.....they make me hungry!!!! S.T

    ReplyDelete