Monday, September 30, 2013

Vegan Mofo #32 - Mark’s Dutch Stamppot...
















Vegan Mofo #32 - Mark’s Dutch Stamppot 

The Region - The Netherlands
The Book - The 30 Minute Vegan’s Taste of Europe
The Author - Mark Rienfeld
The Recipe - Dutch Stamppot
Page #222
Difficulty - Easy
Duration - Roughly 30 minutes

This was not a dish I originally intended to make for Mofo but last week I needed something quick and easy to throw together before work and this dish caught my curious eye. I had never heard of Stamppot before but apparently it’s a traditional Dutch dish that is similar to Ireland’s Colcannon or Champ. Typically it’s a dish of mashed potatoes mixed with other vegetables - onions and kale are typical - mashed together and then served alongside smoked sausage of some kind. It isn’t pretty, I’ll give you that, but much to my surprise it’s damn delicious!
















Mark’s version keeps the trio of potato, onion and kale and flavors the mash with soy sauce, soy milk, vegan mayo, Dijon mustard, vegan butter, salt and pepper. He also uses sliced up browned sausage right in the Stamppot recipe rather then serving it on the side. I quite like this as it makes a quick easy one pot meal. Since he doesn’t specify in his recipe what type of sausage to use I used some Italian Seitan Sausages I had in my freezer and it worked out beautifully.















This dish is true comfort food, and you can really have fun with it by using other ingredients to change it up. Since it’s so easy to throw together I know this’ll probably be a go-to meal on cold winter nights when I have little time and less patience for cooking.


2 comments:

  1. Sounds good. I've been doing a lot of one-pot meals lately, I'll have to give this one a try! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's pretty darn good! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did! =)

      Delete