Monday, September 30, 2013

Vegan Mofo #33 - Mark’s Brussels Sprouts and Red Cabbage...
















Vegan Mofo #33 - Mark’s Brussels Sprouts and Red Cabbage

The Region - Germany
The Book - The 30 Minute Vegan’s Taste of Europe
The Author - Mark Rienfeld
The Recipe - Brussels Sprouts and Red Cabbage
Page #190
Difficulty - Easy
Duration - Roughly 20 minutes

One can hardly think of German Cuisine without thinking about Red Cabbage regardless of how right or wrong that may be. I can honestly say that in my time spent in Germany I didn’t eat a single dish of red cabbage anywhere, but I ate enough of it growing up. Since cabbage is a favorite vegetable of mine - and red cabbage in particular - I’m quite fond of the German way of cooking it. A little bit sweet a little bit sour and I make a killer version of this traditional dish. Though in all my hears I’ve never thought to add Brussels sprouts to the mix. Which is a great combination I have to say, provided of course you like sprouts as much as I do.
















I’d been wanting to make this particular dish for some time as well, but never had the opportunity until of course I made Mark’s Schnitzel and then what better side to make then cabbage? They paired beautifully together and made for a real German feast alongside the Potato Salad, and the beer braised greens - more on them in a bit.
















Mark’s version is a little different from my version, and it differs I think from a traditional recipe as it uses beer. I thought the addition of beer would make the dish bitter but somehow it infused more depth of flavor and I found it to be quite delicious even though I personally can’t stand beer as a beverage. He also uses oil, apple cider vinegar, soy sauce, sea salt, stone-ground mustard, black pepper, red pepper and sesame seeds to flavor the dish and these pairings all work amazingly together. In fact I liked this dish so much I made another pan of it the next night! If you plan on making the Schnitzel, you have to make this to go along with it, you won’t be sorry, I promise! A bonus is this dish can whip together in about 20 minutes or maybe even less if you chop quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment