Thursday, January 24, 2013

Post Workout Elixer...

















This is just a little something I’ve been drinking lately, that I knew I just had to share with you all. I know it doesn’t sound like much but it’s absolutely delicious, and after a good workout it is so refreshing and quenching. It was actually after a workout a few days ago when I threw this thing together. See I wasn’t hungry enough for a full on smoothie, but just plain old water or even plain old coconut water wasn’t going to cut it either. What I really wanted was some fresh juice but since the juicer I ordered hadn’t arrived yet I had to think of something else. After thinking it over for a few minutes I decided to make a blended drink but with the spirit of a juice.
















What does that mean? Well, there aren’t really enough solid ingredients in this to make it a ‘real’ smoothie, but it’s not quite a juice either. It tastes more like a juice because it doesn’t have much pulp or fiber, and it does foam up a bit like a juice. Overall it’s lighter then a smoothie and yet super satisfying at the same time. Surprisingly it’s also quite sustaining, meaning I was pretty well sated until lunch rolled around.
















Now, you may be wondering why I chose these particular ingredients. Well ordinally, I was going for a Thai sort of flavor hence the lime, the coconut, the ginger, and the basil. However just a few weeks ago I came across a delicious new smoothie recipe in a cook book that included dried plums and a quarter of a whole lemon. I love dried plums and always have them on hand, and I just happened to have lemons though I’d never considered using either in a smoothie before. Long story short that smoothie was fantastic and I loved it, and so when I was making my morning drink I decided why not pop in a bit of lemon for that extra kick of citrus and why not through in a few plums for added fiber and sweetness. In the end it worked, and I was super impressed with this drink. So for the past three days I’ve been downing a glass after each workout and I’m absolutely loving every drop of it. FYI - the color of the finished drink does leave a little to be desired thanks to green basil and dark purple almost black plums but hey, if it tastes good who cares what it looks like right?  Try it! You’ll see!
















Post Workout Elixer 

1 1/4 C Coconut Water
2 ½ Tbsp Lime Juice
1/4 Lemon Seeded and Peeled
1 Tbsp Maple Syrup
1/4 tsp Ground Ginger
3-4 Dried Plums
4 Basil Leaves
2-3 Ice Cubes

- Place all ingredients into a high-speed blender and blend on high for 60-90 seconds until completely smooth.

- Pour into a glass and enjoy with a slice of lemon to garnish. This drink is particuarlly refreshing when drunk after any workout that has you sweating buckets. I’m sure it would be equally quenching on a hot day.

No comments:

Post a Comment