Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Strawberry Sunshine Beet Blast...

















Everyone wants to start the New Year off right. We sit down and make goals and game-plans and say we’re not going to do this and this thing today but we will do this and that thing instead. January is always full of positive energy and good intentions, but making those good intentions stick can sometimes be a little bit difficult for people. It’s part of why I don’t make resolutions - aside from the obvious, that if you want to change your life the best time to do it is now in the moment rather then wait for some arbitrary date. - Making resolutions almost sets people up for failure. For a lot of people it’s too much pressure, and when they don’t quite make their resolution the disappointment is too big, and too overwhelming. I prefer goal setting, and I set goals for myself all the time not just in January. Goal setting for me is more long-term, and sometimes the goals I set for myself are life-long. Goals are something I work towards and depending on the goal it doesn’t really matter how close I am to achieving it because every stride towards it is a stride in the right direction, and that alone is enough to fill me with happiness and positive energy.
















I would say that whenever you’re making goals or resolutions less is more. Meaning, instead of making big sweeping declarations, start small. Your goals have to be realistic and manageable, and most importantly you have to know why you’re setting them in the first place. If you don’t truly want what it is you’re setting your goal for, you will never achieve it. If you say to yourself that you’re going to give up coffee, but inside you’re already looking ahead to when you might have your next cup - be it a week, a month what have you - then you’re not there yet. You’re not ready, and it’s not going to work. Instead of saying “I’m not going to have coffee again” say to yourself “I’m not going to have coffee today.” Work with that, and then move onto the next day and say the same thing. Don’t think too far ahead, and don’t think too hard about it. Make it simple, take it a day at a time, and that’s true of any goal not just giving up coffee or some other bad habit.














Of course if you are planning on leaving some bad habits behind for the New Year it’s always a good idea to replace them with a good habit. Replacing a bad habit with a good one makes the transition easier on you, and it makes you more likely to accomplish your goal if you feel like you’re getting something in return. I know for myself the most important thing in making sure I achieve my goals is starting the day out right. I know that sounds weird but if I start my day out right by getting up early, exercising, and enjoying a nutritious breakfast I find I’m overall happier and more productive throughout the day. If I sleep in, don’t exercise, and either don’t eat, or just eat whatever I’ve got lying around without putting my thought into it I’m much more likely to be lethargic, lazy, disagreeable, and spend the day wasting time. So that’s one of my biggest goals for this year, something I’ve been working on the past few days and I’m really feeling great about it.

As I said for me part of starting the day off right is about getting adequate - as well as delicious - nutrition in the mornings. I’m a total smoothie fanatic, as some of you probably already know, but after my summer holidays I kind of fell off of the smoothie wagon and wasn’t drinking them with as much regularity. Or I was drinking protein smoothies instead rather then fresh fruit and vegetable smoothies. This week I really wanted to make sure I got back on track as far as the smoothies go and so I came up with this delicious concoction yesterday. For some reason I’ve really been dreaming about beets, and what better way to utilize their amazing power, and their unique flavor? It may sound weird to you but I assure you it’s delicious and revitalizing, just give it a try! The color alone is brilliant!
















Strawberry Sunshine Beet Blast 

½ of a Large Beet or 1 Small Beet peeled and chopped
2 C Frozen Strawberries
Thumb Sized Piece of Ginger
1 C Unsweetened Almond Milk
1/4 C Orange Juice
2 Collard Green Stems
1 Tbsp Flaxseed

- Place all ingredients into a high-speed blender and blend on high for 60-90 seconds until completely smooth. Pour into a glass and enjoy!

*** Note - If you feel it needs a little extra sweetness feel free to add in a tsp or two of agave. Or a pinch of pure green Stevia.***

No comments:

Post a Comment