Monday, January 7, 2013

Product Review - Yogi Tea...

















The other day I promised to share with you some of my favorite supplements/remedies for when I’m not quite feeling 100% There are a lot of different things I like to keep around for such occasions, whether it’s for the occasional headache, the onset of a cough, nausea, or the brewing of a cold I like to keep my ‘medicine cabinet’ stocked with teas and herbs that can help. Yet despite the various tools I have at my disposal my number 1 go to remedy always seems to be Yogi Tea. I really can not say enough good things about it, this stuff really works magic for me.

Yogi Tea is a company that offers a wide range of teas, and each one is crafted with a specialized herbal formula meant to address a specific health need. They have teas to remedy everything from the common cold, to menstrual cramps, to joint pain, upset stomach, and detoxification. What I like about them - aside from the fact that their teas taste good and work great - is that they are committed to the holistic traditions of Ayurveda. They use high-quality natural and organic ingredients, and work with the whole herbs whenever possible. Rather then work with pieces, and then supplement with vitamins and minerals for the finished product. For their teas they blend whole spices and botanicals and honestly I think that makes a real difference not only in the taste of the tea but in the quality and strength of the medicine. What I also like about them is that their teas are inexpensive. Unlike a lot of other medicinal teas and ‘health teas’ you can buy any box of Yogi tea for $3-4, which makes it very accessible to a wide range of people from all backgrounds. Good health, and having the tools to maintain it shouldn’t be a virtue of the elite, but a basic human right for all of us.

Now I haven’t tried every single Yogi tea on the market since I only buy the remedies that apply to my conditions, but of the ones I have tried the one I seem to use most frequently in my preventative health arsenal is their Echinacea Immune Support tea. This stuff is a miracle, really a true lifesaver. I’ve been drinking it regularly for several years now. Now, I don’t drink it everyday but I do try to drink at least a few cups a week. As I stated in my post Nine Easy Tips for Preventing Colds and Flu's This Year Echinacea is most beneficial if taken throughout the year, so that’s what I do. However during the fall and winter months I tend to drink it even more frequently then just a few cups a week, and if I know someone who’s recently become sick or I find myself in contact with sick people on a regular basis I begin drinking the tea daily. Depending on the situation I may drink 2 or 3 cups daily, and of course if I ever feel myself coming down with something I immediately brew myself a cup, and keep on drinking it until my symptoms disappear. When I say symptoms I’m typically meaning a little scratch in my throat or a tickle in my nose. You know, those preliminary signs that a cold is immanent. If I feel even the slightest twinge, and find myself becoming a little lethargic on top of it I go right for my Echinacea tea. If I’ve been diligent in my tea drinking, and I begin drinking the tea right at the first sign of possible sickness one cup is sufficient. Otherwise it may take 2-4 cups over the course of a day or two to get back to rights. In this tea the Echinacea is blended with elderberry extract, and mullein leaf both of which help support respiratory function. Also included are cinnamon bark, peppermint, lemongrass, ginger root, rose hip, clove bud, burdock root and a few others to enhance both flavor and immune function. For those into Green Tea they also make a Triple Echinacea Green Tea, which I have not tried but have heard good things about from others.

Next up on my list of most used Yogi Teas is their Throat Comfort tea, which I typically take in conjunction with the Echinacea tea. Since most of my potential illnesses begin with a scratchy throat during times I begin feeling under the weather I immediately pop an Echinacea tea bag along with a Throat Comfort tea bag into a cup and brew a strong tea with them, and a splash of lemon juice. Depending on how I feel after that initial cup I may then switch over to only drinking one or the other or may continue drinking both or neither if the ailment goes away completely. This tea contains slippery elm bark, and mullein which are both used for soothing the throat, and they’re blended with wild cherry bark and licorice - both for their soothing nature - as well as cardamom, cinnamon, clove, black pepper, fennel, and ginger. It makes a really good tea and for me at least 1-2 cups typically does the trick.

The last time I had a cold bad enough to require something a bit more then Echinacea and Throat Comfort I tried out Yogi’s Cold Season Tea, which is an herbal blend of ginger, eucalyptus, orange peel, valerian root, licorice, peppermint, basil, Lemongrass, oregano, parsley, yarrow, and a few others. Flavor wise it wasn’t my favorite but I did find it soothing. Since it was several years ago I can’t remember exactly how well it worked but my husband has taken this tea as well and has also found it beneficial.
















Around the time I last took the Cold Season Tea I also tried out Yogi’s Breath Deep tea for my congestion and I recall it also being rather soothing to my mucosal membrane. This tea is a blend of licorice, eucalyptus, basil, ginger, thyme, cinnamon, peppermint, mullein, elecampane, and cardamom. My husband has had occasion to use this one more often then me and he too has found it soothing.

It’s not often that I find myself with a cough, but occasionally a cough hits me out of nowhere. It might start with me simply clearing my throat and then the next thing I know, no matter how many times I cough my throat doesn’t feel clear. After about four or five coughs with no relief I realize that this is probably the beginning of something bad, a cold, a bronchitis, some other respiratory infection and I rush to brew myself a cup of Yogi’s Egyptian Licorice tea. Licorice is the number one herb for coughs, it’s your one stop shop for bronchitis, and it’s extremely effective. Licorice root is even used in a lot of commercially produces cough syrups and medications. Typically one cup of this tea banishes my cough for good, but every once in a while I’ll need a second cup. It never takes more then that. My husband who seems to come down with a cough every now and then also finds this tea very beneficial and soothing. It really helps to sooth the mucosal membrane, and the bronchial passages, as well as work to suppress the cough and open the bronchial passageways. Now I’m not particularly fond of licorice, I never have been, but if ever I feel the beginnings of a cough I happily drink this tea, and after the first few sips I forget about the flavor, as it works to sooth me. Yogi also makes an Egyptian Licorice Mint tea but that one I haven’t tried, despite my love of mint teas.

Ginger tea is not something I have occasion to drink very often, but if ever I feel even the slightest bit nauseous I make a B-line for it. I’ve had a lot of different kinds of ginger tea in the past and most of them I find to overpowering to actually drink. Most of the brands I’ve tried in the past were too spicy for my taste, and burned my throat rather then eased what ailed me. While the Yogi tea is definitely warming and a bit spicy it’s not overpowering like other ginger teas I’ve tried, and it really works well.  I most recently used it this past Christmas Eve. My oven was on the fritz you see, and emitting some sort of noxious fumes which were making me sick to my stomach. Three cups of ginger tea later and I was right as rain - oh and the day after Christmas my wonderful husband bought me a new oven - but more on that another day. Yogi blends their ginger tea with lemongrass, peppermint, black pepper and licorice for a soothing and flavorful cup. Which would also be good if used to improve digestion. Though I typically drink peppermint tea when I find myself with indigestion.

I also keep a box of Yogi’s Woman’s Moon Cycle Tea on hand to help with menstrual cramps. Now I’ll be honest, this is probably my least favorite tea ever. It’s a blend of fennel, ginger, cinnamon, chamomile, raspberry, anise, parsley, juniper berry, chaste tree, and dong quai and in tastes awful. Kind of like celery. However when I have mild cramps the tea is soothing, and I feel better after having drunk it. Though when my cramps are severe this tea doesn’t even make a dent in the pain that I experience. Everyone is different, and each woman’s cramps are different so it may work better for you then it does for me. Or it may only work for mild cramps in general I’m not sure, but anything’s worth a try right?

I used to suffer quite badly from insomnia. It started around the time that I was 14 and didn’t go away until I became vegan. Since going vegan I haven’t had any trouble sleeping, though every now and again I think we all have a restless night. My husband was actually the one who purchased Yogi’s Bedtime tea, he is far more restless then I am - stress I think, - but I have had occasion to use it at least twice. Both times I drank this tea I felt relaxed, calm, and soothed, and within minutes of finishing my cup I was sleeping soundly. The blend is a relaxing one of passion flower, valerian root, lavender, raspberry, chamomile, rose hip, st. john’s wort, cinnamon, cardamom, skullcap, spearmint and licorice.

Lastly my husband uses Yogi’s Gingko Clarity tea when he feels he needs a bit of a mental boost and he likes it. He also claims it’s beneficial though I can’t attest to this myself as I’ve never had occasion to use it. Though you might wish to give it a try if you find yourself in need of a bit of extra mental power.

There are several other Yogi Teas that I would love to try out but haven’t had a need for as of yet. Their detox teas - such as berry detox and skin detox - really interest me, as well as their Healthy fasting teas, and their Kava Kava Stress Relief tea. Though it’s not often that I find myself under stress and when I do it typically doesn’t last long enough for me to get to the store and back. I’m also interested in their Joint Comfort tea as joint pain is something I do have more then just occasionally, and their St John’s Wort Blues Away tea is also interesting to me, but again I never find myself depressed. If I ever do try these teas though I’ll be sure and give you my full report on them.

But for now I think that about does it for this entry. Overall I’ve found Yogi teas to be both beneficial and delicious and I recommend them to everyone I know for their various ailments. They’ve certainly worked wonders for me, and so I hope if you decide to give any of them a try that they also provide you with some relief.

If you're interested in trying to find some Yogi tea where you live the brand seems to be carried in most Chain Grocery stores in the U.S. and Canada, as well as Natural and Health Food Stores. Or you could check out their website!
Yogi Tea

No comments:

Post a Comment