Monday, September 7, 2015

Vegan Mofo #8: Vichy Carrots....

















Today’s Mofo post is a quick and easy side dish known as Vichy Carrots. The dish is named for the town of Vichy, France a spa town located in Auvergne in Central France. When it was first created I don’t know, but technically for the dish to really be Vichy Carrots one is suppose to use water from Vichy. Of course, if you use just any old water you have at home, I promise I won’t tell anyone. Interestingly enough this is probably a dish I’ve eaten a million times without realizing it had a name and an origin, it’s probably also a dish I’ve made a dozen times myself without realizing the same thing. I feel like this was a common way to cook and eat carrots when I was growing up, and those memories from childhood just translated into my adult cooking life without me even realizing there was a history behind the dish.

The dish is a great accompaniment to any meal and goes especially well with a savory protein and mashed or boiled potatoes.

















Vichy Carrots 

1 lb Carrots sliced within with a Mandolin
½ tsp Sea Salt
2 tsp Sugar
1 Tbsp Non-Dairy Butter
2 Tbsp Minced Parsley

- Place the carrots in a deep frying pan and cover with cold water. Add the salt, sugar, and butter.

- Simmer until the water has evaporated. Then shake the pan to glaze the carrots. Add in the parsley, and season with additional sea salt, butter and crushed black pepper if desired.

*** Note - If your carrots are fully cooked and all your water has not evaporated just strain it off, and add a little more melted butter to the pan to glaze. *** 

2 comments:

  1. This dish is also quite good eaten by itself. ;)
    But I think we should really make this dish authentic & go to Vichy for some water.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cảm ơn bài viết của bạn. Nó thật hữu ích với mình. Mình cũng có 5 bài viết chia sẻ cho bạn và các bạn muốn tiềm hiểu đồ mỹ phẩm hiện nay
    Nước xịt khoáng Vichy
    Review mỹ phẩm nhật bản
    Son handmade độc đáo
    Mái tóc đẹp cho màu thu 2015
    Sữa rửa mặt shiseido perfect whip

    ReplyDelete