Monday, October 29, 2012

Vegan Mofo #24 - Terry’s Crepes With Un-Dulce de Leche and Sweet Plantains

















Vegan Mofo #24 - Terry’s Crepes With Un-Dulce de Leche and Sweet Plantains 

The Book - Viva Vegan!
The Author - Terry Hope Romero
The Recipe - Crepes With Un-Dulce de Leche and Sweet Plantains
Page # 227-228
Difficulty - Easy
Duration - Roughly 45 minutes for the sauce and an additional 1 hour and 45 minutes for the crepes once the sauce is made. However you can save yourself some time by making the sauce ahead. You can even make the crepe batter ahead of time too.
















Okay, so perhaps I spoke to soon when I said there would be no more breakfast sandwich posts for this Mofo. I have at least one other one that I forgot about, and while crepes might not technically be a sandwich I decided that sweet plantains stuffed inside some carby-goodness was a loose enough interpretation of the word ‘sandwich’ to suit my theme. Besides these are so freaking good that I needed to tell you about them so you’d make them and see for yourself just how amazing they are.
















Now I am not a crepe expert or a crepe master by any stretch of the imagination. In fact I’ve only made crepes a couple of times in my life, but this recipe really called to me as I’m a big fan of plantains. So even though I was feeling a bit intimidated by the crepe making aspect the plantains had my mouth watering enough to want to give it a try anyway, and I’m so glad I did, because they really are fantastic. By the way Terry calls these dessert crepes, but I’ll be honest, I served them for breakfast. Why not right?
















So, first the sauce. It’s actually really simple to put together if time consuming, but well wroth it. It’s made with soy creamer or rich soy milk, arrowroot powder, brown rice syrup, brown sugar, vegan butter, and vanilla extract. Once you have everything whisked together you bring it to a boil then reduce to a simmer for about thirty minutes or so until the sauce thickens. So you see it’s easy, and most of the ‘cooking’ time is non-active as you only have to stir occasionally.
















Now the crepes. They’re also very simple, made with soy or almond milk, water, flour, chickpea flour, sugar, and salt. Blend it all together, stick it in the fridge for at least an hour and then start making your crepes.
















The Plantains are easy too, just plantains, brown sugar, lime juice, vegan butter, rum and cooking spray. You slice the plantains thin on an angle and fry them in a hot cast iron pan with the other ingredients until they’re brown and caramelized. Then you take your cooked crepe, layer in some plantains to one side, drizzle the sauce over top, and fold the crepe in half. Layer more plantains over top and more sauce then fold the crepe again and that’s it. You’re done! Serve with a few additional plantains and some sauce scattered across the top and with a bit of fruit. I’ve tossed some fresh pineapple slices onto the plate to give it a bit of a tropical flair.
















Now as good as these are you might want to be ware - they are very sweet! So if you don’t have a sweet tooth go easy on the sauce, and even if you do have a sweet tooth trust me when I say one or two of these guys is plenty! Any more and you’ll likely go into a diabetic coma. Just kidding!


No comments:

Post a Comment