Sunday, October 14, 2012

Vegan Mofo #14 - Lauren’s Breakfast Sandwiches...

















Vegan Mofo #14 - Lauren’s Breakfast Sandwiches 
The Book - Vegan Yum Yum
The Author - Lauren Ulm
The Recipe - Breakfast Sandwiches
Page # 5
Difficulty - Easy
Duration - Roughly 40 Minutes, less if you use English Muffins instead of baking your own biscuits.
















I have actually been wanting to make this sandwich since I got Vegan Yum Yum, but Yum Yum was one of my very first vegan cook books (Along with Appetite for Reduction) and so I was a bit intimidated by this recipe. Also add to that the fact that I used to be a total tofu hater and generally skipped over any recipes containing it. The picture has always intrigued me though - it really looks like the real thing! - and so when I chose sandwiches for my Mofo theme I thought what better time to make it then now? I have the skills, I like tofu, it’s the perfect opportunity.
















This recipe is actually so much easier then it appears, and the ingredients are pretty simple. The biscuits are pretty typical and cook up quick about 12 minutes or so. The tofu eggs consist of tofu, soy milk, nutritional yeast, olive oil, tahini, baking powder, corn starch and salt - I used black salt for that extra eggy flavor. You whip it all together in a food processor or blender then use a measuring cup to drop some of the batter into a hot pan spread it thin like a pancake and fry. Simple or what?
















The Maple Soy Tofu is pretty simple too. Just tofu pressed and drained to get out as much moisture as possible. Then you slice it into strips cook it till brown and then add maple syrup and soy sauce - I added a few drops of liquid smoke too! -  to the hot pan and let it bubble up and form a glaze over the strips. When all the component are done slice open a biscuit layer in some tofu egg, and some maple tofu and BAM!  It’s like a healthy delicious version of a ‘Mcmuffin”
















I think out of all the breakfast sandwiches I’ve made so far the Hawaiian Benedict was my favorite but this one is pretty damn good. My husband said he liked this one the best out of all the ones I’d made so far. Smeared with a little bit of ketchup and a little extra maple syrups I can think of worse ways to start the day.

















No comments:

Post a Comment