Thursday, October 4, 2012

Vegan Mofo #6 -Alicia’s Avocado Melt Panini...

















Vegan Mofo #6 -Alicia’s Avocado Melt Panini 

The Book - Vegan Comfort Food
The Author - Alicia C. Simpson
The Recipe - Avocado Melt Panini
Page #120
Difficulty - Easy
Duration - 10 minutes
















This sandwich is so simple you’ll laugh and wonder why you never thought of it. Or at least that’s how I felt. I know when I first got this cook book, and I saw the recipe I thought “Why is this even in here?” It’s too simple, too easy, it never occurred to me to actually make it until I set myself the goal of making sandwiches for Mofo.

Yesterday afternoon I needed something quick and easy to whip myself up for lunch because I was busy writing essays for school and couldn’t be distracted by any long cooking times. This was the perfect thing, and it’s made even better by the fact that I love me some avocado. Besides who doesn’t love a really good oozy-gooey, melted sandwich? I know I do. What I really love about this simple sandwich is that the avocado makes it so gooey that it feels really decadent and bad, when really it’s actually not. Avocado’s are a healthy fat, so as long as you use a minimal amount of oil and cheese this sandwich is actually pretty healthful.
















I know it’s hard to tell what all’s going on in this picture because it just looks like one big gooey green monster of a mess but besides avocado the sandwich also has vegan mozzarella - I used Daiya - cilantro, red onion, and tomato. It’s suppose to be served on sourdough bread brushed with olive oil and grilled in a Panini press, but I don’t have one of those. I also didn’t have sourdough - which I’m sure that would be delicious too. Instead I used regular thinly sliced Italian bread, brushed lightly with olive oil and I seared it in my cast iron skillet. Worked beautifully. I love how the heat not only melted the cheese but even melted the avocado for a little that extra ooze.
















1 avocado is suppose to be enough for 2 sandwiches, but since my husband was at work and I didn’t want to waste half an avocado I just used the whole thing. I did add a little less then 4oz of shredded Daiya Mozzarella though to even it out. Also I added in a little salt, pepper, smoked paprika and garlic powder when I mashed up my avocado, that’s how I usually like my guac and so I thought it would be just as good that way on a sandwich and I was right.

The perfect mid-afternoon lunch.



No comments:

Post a Comment