Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Vegan Mofo #21 - Jenny & Heather’s Strawberry Cream Cheese Stuffed French Toast...

















Vegan Mofo #21 - Jenny & Heather’s Strawberry Cream Cheese Stuffed French Toast

The Book - Spork-Fed
The Author - Jenny Engel & Heather Goldberg
The Recipe - Strawberry Cream Cheese Stuffed French Toast
Page # 166-168
Difficulty - Easy
Duration - Roughly 40 minutes
















Today I bring you a final, delicious breakfast sandwich. Though the word sandwich may not appear anywhere in the recipe title, the recipe itself is essentially some stuff stuffed between two pieces of bread, which is enough to qualify it for my Mofo sandwich theme.
















Now I’ll be honest with you, I’ve never been the biggest fan of French Toast. It’s not that I don’t like it exactly it’s just, well, I don’t know really. It’s just not my thing. It’s not something I ever crave or feel a desire to make. It’s not something I’d ever order out anywhere, nor is it something I’d ever beg anyone to make for me. However when I saw the picture of this stuffed French Toast when flipping through Spork-Fed I felt a sudden desire to give it a try. Maybe I was just craving strawberries, or maybe the promise of cream cheese lured me, I don’t know, but my husband is a huge fan of French Toast. Really he loves the stuff, so I thought at the very least I’d have someone else to help me eat it.
















The recipe is very simple, you make a typical French Toast batter of flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, allspice, maple syrup, vanilla extract, almond extract, soy milk, and lemon zest. Then you make your filling in this case the filling is a mixture of finely diced strawberries, vegan cream cheese, cinnamon, salt, and lemon juice. Then you get your day old or crusty bread, slice it into really thick slices then slice each slice down the middle but not all the way through. Spoon your filling inside, dip the whole thing into the batter and fry up French Toast style. Serve it with a little extra maple syrup for dipping or any extra filling.
















This is a really sweet, rich, and filling breakfast. Perfect for any sweet tooth or decadent breakfast lover. I quite liked it although I added more cinnamon, more strawberries, a little more vanilla and thought the lemon juice was unnecessary. Next time I think I would add a little vanilla non-dairy milk in it’s place. My husband really loved these which was a bit of a surprise to me since he never liked cream cheese, and doesn’t much care for the vegan cream cheese either. Yet he sat there and gobbled up two and a half of these mammoth stuffed toasts with relish.
















This would be the perfect breakfast for one of those special romantic occasions, although I recommend you halve the recipe because it makes a lot and it is really filling, unless you’re extra hungry or you’re feeding a lot of people.

No comments:

Post a Comment